Oops! This site has expired. If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.

Epiphyte tree

Epiphytes growing in trees of subtropical style garden plus photos of garden flora and fauna.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Why use growing media for epiphytes.

epitree
Site Owner

Unless you live in the wet tropics or you only intend growing Tillandsias or some of the orchids most garden situations are simply too dry for epiphytes to establish on the bare bark of a tree.If the tree is mature with deeply fissured bark and you are prepared to water often (At least initially) then you may have success.I need to use growing media to establish my epiphytes because of smooth barked tree,far too dry (wind and sun) and I like to grow a wider range of plants (Not epiphytes but able to handle dry conditions).Check out the page Growing mounting tips.

September 25, 2011 at 11:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Chris J

I had a go at establishing epiphytes on my native trees using sphagnum moss, but a thrush stripped off all the moss and pecked the lot to bits. They do this in my carniverous swamp garden as well. Grrrr.  

April 10, 2012 at 8:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

epitree
Site Owner

Hi Chris I had the same problem growing spanish moss (Tillandsia usneoides) in my epiphyte tree all was well till spring and then the sparrows pinched the lot for their nests.I would suggest wrapping some coconut fibre (Hanging basket liner) around the branch and tying with string that will rot in 12 months or so to protect the sphagnum moss untill the plants get established. By the time the coconut fibre rots the plants roots should be well grown around the branch and the birds should not be able to do too much damage.

Epitree.

April 10, 2012 at 8:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kari

I make up a mix of a good tub and patio mix, coconut fibre and extra bark, plant into this, then wrap with plenty of spagnum moss and mount.

April 11, 2012 at 4:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

epitree
Site Owner

Hi Kari thanks for this post as it is always good to hear how other people grow their epiphytes.Your growing media sounds perfect. As we know its all a matter of copying nature as best we can in a garden situation and the more varied the options that work in the real world (Our gardens) the easier it is for other people to grow epiphytes.

April 12, 2012 at 12:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.